The battle never ends when you’re pitted up against two of the biggest retailers online, Amazon and Walmart. eBay recently announced a brand new Price Match Guarantee on over 50,000 items sitewide, making them more competitive than ever even after announcing their 3-Day Guaranteed Delivery back in March. While Amazon adds new features and acquires billion-dollar companies to increase their value and Walmart offers a Pickup Discount with which Amazon can’t really compete, eBay is quietly making their own plans to dominate in e-commerce.
What is the Price Match Guarantee?
If you find an eBay Deal with a better price elsewhere, eBay will match the price of the competition. You do have to follow a set of rules for the price match to work, but they’re pretty simple:
- Before you buy the product on a competitor’s site, get in touch with eBay Customer Service to request a price match.
- Let the Customer Service representative know where you found the lower price so they can easily verify the price match.
- Upon verification, you will receive an eBay coupon with the price difference which must be used towards the purchase of the item with the price match. Coupons expire within 24 hours and cannot be reissued.
Does any item qualify for a price match?
No. For an item to qualify for the Price Match Guarantee, it will have to be from the eBay Deals page and fall under the following 3 conditions:
- The item on the eBay Deals page must be brand new, meaning it will have to be unopened. eBay says over 90% of eBay Deals are new, though.
- It must be found on competitors’ sites. Eligible sites for price matches are Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, HomeDepot.com, Target.com, Sears.com, Jet.com, and Wayfair.com. Any other sites including third-party marketplaces do not qualify.
- Both items must be identical and available. They need to be the exact same product and in stock at the time of the price match request.
What else do I need to know?
Although only eBay Deals are eligible for a price match, it’s worthwhile to note that at any time throughout the day, there are tens of thousands of deals offered. They also update at least once a day starting at 8 AM PT. Moreover, if you return an item purchased after a price match, you will receive a refund of the listing price less the coupon value and any other discounts that may have been used at the time of purchase.
This Price Match Guarantee probably won't be offered during Black Friday, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that it might be applicable during the holiday shopping season immediately after. To learn more about the eBay Price Match Guarantee, click here.